Images of the Hunger Games hackles the senses to a bloody metallic taste, mingled with the salty tang of sweat. You can almost hear your own heart beating, feel the sting of sore muscles. Hear the regular gasping breaths. The crunching of leaves under your feet, running, to survive.
I recently read the entire Hunger Games series. When, the Tributes hear the sounding bell for the Hunger Game to begin they run. They run as fast and as hard as they can, to get supplies and get hidden. That's how my nights are at work. I'll eat a full meal right before work, not knowing when I'll get another one. Eventhough, it's against State Law for me to not get a lunch. It's also against State Law for me to not get certain tasks done within a certain amount of time. Ultimately, lunch is not always possible. So, I hit the ground running, gather the supplies I need for the night and keep running to stay ahead of the clock. There is point, though, where your body begins to weaken. Hopefully at this point you've reached a "hiding place" or a break, ahead of the clock; where, you can eat and rest to finish the night out strong.
So many times in our spiritual lives we are also in our own personal Hunger Game. We need time to stop, rest and eat to keep going on, to survive. Just like our bodies need regular meals our spirit needs regular meals. I ask myself, Tiffany, what are you Hungering for in this Game of Life? To keep my focus straight I try and keep up with regular Jesus Dates. Yes, I said, Jesus Dates.
My Jesus Dates are a time for me to unwind from my day and throw off the extra worries and weights of the day.
In the hectic life of being a nurse, I have to carve out time for me & Jesus. This last weekend was rough. medical emergencies don't just happen between 9-5 Monday through Friday. Although, I wish they did! I would get to have a normal sleeping, socializing, church attending schedule. Duty called this weekend; so, while working extra hours I missed church. In fact, I was so exhausted after this weekend I crumpled up into a ball on my bed and slept for a good 13 hours today. I needed re-fueled: physically, emotionally & spiritually.
My Jesus Date tonight consisted of Dinner (yum!) with Pandora Radio on Hillsong & Phil Wickam play lists. Then, a Life Devotion by Pastor Robert Maasbac, http://youtu.be/cHadnwVOOeQ, with a cuppa coffee, of course. Next, some good ol' scripture reading, John 15. Finally, I love to journal my prayers and what I feel that God's been speaking to me. I feel like I can't stop talking about my Jesus Dates; but, they are so refreshing! Truly the most effective use of my time to re-energize in God. They are the only meals that fill me sufficeintly in the Hunger Game of Life. God is GOOD. God is satisfying. You just gotta give Him a chance!

Great analogy. And I totally agree. My life is totally like the Hunger Games minus the killing. ;-) I feel like I'm always running for the rat race, and you're right it's absolutely essential for us to refuel in all ways. Especially the spiritual- it keeps my mood up and my perspective in the right places.
ReplyDeleteTiffy, I love reading your writings. And honestly, this very thing has been the story of my life for the past week. I'm laughing/crying right now as I'm writing this because I am so in awe of what God has been saying to me this week and through what means, what He's been pushing me towards, what I'm beginning to see through Him. There is a change coming in my life, and I'm so thankful that God invited me to take part in something so great...whatever that may be. This post truly blessed me. I look forward to your future blog posts, your future book, and our next coffee date. Love you!
ReplyDeleteBrittany, your posted reply so blessed me! God is GOOD. Embrace the Adventure!
ReplyDelete