"Woe to you who turn justice to vinegar
and stomp righteousness into the mud.
Do you realize where you are? You're in a cosmos
star-flung with constellations by God,
A world God wakes up each morning
and puts to bed each night.
God dips water from the ocean
and gives the land a drink.
God, God-revealed, does all this.
And he can destroy it as easily as make it.
He can turn this vast wonder into total waste.
and stomp righteousness into the mud.
Do you realize where you are? You're in a cosmos
star-flung with constellations by God,
A world God wakes up each morning
and puts to bed each night.
God dips water from the ocean
and gives the land a drink.
God, God-revealed, does all this.
And he can destroy it as easily as make it.
He can turn this vast wonder into total waste.
...
"I can't stand your religious meetings.
I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions.
I want nothing to do with your religion projects,
your pretentious slogans and goals.
I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes,
your public relations and image making.
I've had all I can take of your noisy ego-music.
When was the last time you sang to me?
Do you know what I want?
I want justice—oceans of it.
I want fairness—rivers of it. That's what I want. That's all I want.
I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions.
I want nothing to do with your religion projects,
your pretentious slogans and goals.
I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes,
your public relations and image making.
I've had all I can take of your noisy ego-music.
When was the last time you sang to me?
Do you know what I want?
I want justice—oceans of it.
I want fairness—rivers of it. That's what I want. That's all I want.
~ God,
Amos Chapter 5
Justice in its’ purest form is simply “I’m sorry” & “I forgive you;” followed by right action.
In 2005, I was passing through a staunchly radical Muslim Indian city with a British Tour group. Apparently, every Muslim man in the city had sworn their gun to shoot to kill any & all Americans in sight. Me, being19 years old, very white, Christian and American was not in a particularly safe place; but, thoroughly excited from the thrill of danger. We were just passing through with a British Tour Group; but, nonetheless we took every safety precaution possible. It was surreal. For 2 days we were not allowed to go near windows, to be seen on the roof or to go out in public without an escort. Needless to say I got to pray and read my Bible, A LOT. I was meditating on Christ's words "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." I've read those words a thousand times in the past; but that time, revelation hit me like a lightning bolt! Oh, how did I weep over Christ's revealation of forgiveness! At that moment of prayer and meditation God showed me how people justify what they do. People justify their actions, whether right or wrong, they have themselves CONVINCED they are doing the right thing for that moment in time. People are decieved, by themsleves, others or circumstances. This is crux of Christ's ability to forgive those that were torturing him to death! This is how abusers, murders, theives, liars and all manner of evil can be forgiven- released - allowed to float away in the air like a dandelion seed upon the wind. Those who hurt us are truely decieved into thinking they are justified in their actions. This DECEPTION, the fact that they really don't GET IT, is how we can forgive them for their foolishness. Yes, they probably did, somewhere deep down inside, know something was not quite right. (we all know the feeling!) Let us consider that they caved under the pressure of the screaming circumstances, emotions, expectations, fears, lies, cultural beliefs etc.(we've all done this in our way before) All of Humanity needs beautiful forgiveness.
"This is the kind of fast day I'm after:
to break the chains of injustice,
get rid of exploitation in the workplace,
free the oppressed,
cancel debts.
What I'm interested in seeing you do is:
sharing your food with the hungry,
inviting the homeless poor into your homes,
putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad,
being available to your own families.
Do this and the lights will turn on,
and your lives will turn around at once.
Your righteousness will pave your way.
The God of glory will secure your passage.
Then when you pray, God will answer.
You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am.'
If you get rid of unfair practices,
quit blaming victims,
quit gossiping about other people's sins,
If you are generous with the hungry
and start giving yourselves to the down-and-out,
Your lives will begin to glow in the darkness,
your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight.
I will always show you where to go.
I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places—
firm muscles, strong bones.
You'll be like a well-watered garden,
a gurgling spring that never runs dry.
You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew,
rebuild the foundations from out of your past.
You'll be known as those who can fix anything,
restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate,
make the community livable again.
~ God,
Isaiah 58
Forgiveness is part of justice. Vengeance is justice without forgiveness. Vengeance is death. No life. No hope. No new beginnings. Forgiveness offers life. Offers hope. Offers a new beginning.
Forgiveness is not an option- if we want personal, relational and spiritual peace. Humanity can keep their un-forgiveness; but, there is the sacrifice of release, peace, life and hope. Forgiveness must be whole and complete, covering every surface! We must forgive ourselves, as much as, any other offender. Not forgiving yourself is a form of pride. Even thinking yourself, unworthy of forgiveness- God's complete forgiveness is a form of selfish pride, deceiving yourself into a bent, false humility. God says all of our sins are forgiven completely upon repentance and declaration. To put your sins above God's grace is to put yourself above Him & justice. This, at the very core is condemning pride, thinking you know better than God.
All. Is. Forgiven.
No comments:
Post a Comment